Following the school’s dress code is a behaviour that clearly signals that a pupil is willing to follow whole school behavioural expectations and is ready to work. The dress code has been designed with due consideration for the age range of our pupils. The school believes that wearing uniform gives pupils a sense of pride and belonging. The uniform does not seek to make judgements against personal choice; pupils have every opportunity to express their individuality in their own time.
It is essential all items of clothing and personal property are clearly marked with the pupil’s name. Parents/guardians are requested to check this periodically.
No items of jewellery are allowed, apart from the following exceptions, which are brought into school on the clear understanding that the school will take no responsibility for such items if they cause injury or are lost:
- items of religious significance; (a note is required from parents/guardians to explain their significance)
- ear studs; pupils with pierced ears may wear a plain stud (gold or silver), one in each ear lobe (removed or taped up for PE)
- a wrist watch, NO SMART WATCHES ALLOWED (watches must be removed for PE)
Any inappropriate items will be removed and made available for parents/guardians to collect from the school office.
Marston Vale Middle School black V-necked jumper or cardigan with red embroidered logo available from Prestige Design & Workwear Ltd, 46-48 High Street, Flitwick
white cotton shirt (long or short sleeved) and school tie. No polo shirts from September 2017
- grey trousers which must be tailored school trousers.
- trousers must be straight legged and not flared or skinny. They must not be jeans, jean-like, leggings or jersey type material. They should be free from inappropriate labels and not hipster cut waist. Trousers must be worn in a way that does not reveal underwear
a knee length skirt (any skirts that are deemed too short will result in the pupil being asked to change into something more suitable)
- shorts, culottes, any ‘split skirt’ or ‘skort’ style is not permitted.
- pupils must wear either skirts or trousers plain black, grey or white socks or tights
- flat black shoes with a low heel only – no boots, no trainers (including black trainers or converse type shoes that look like trainers). No open toed or sling back shoes. No ballet pumps.
- all long hair (shoulder length and longer) must be tied back
- hair must be of a natural colour (no extreme styles are permitted)
- make up is not permitted under any circumstances. This includes nail varnish and false nails (including gel/acrylic nails) and hair attachments. Pupils will be provided with the correct products to remove make-up and parents/guardians will be informed to not allow their child to attend school in make-up of any kind. Pupils with false/acrylic/gel nails will be removed from timetable until the issue is resolved.
- body-piercings are not permitted under any circumstances for health and safety reasons and any child found to have a piercing will be prevented from taking part in PE until the matter is resolved.
- an appropriate school bag such as a back pack, holdall or satchel. No handbags.
Step 1: Pupils will be given a verbal instruction to correct the issue.
Step 2: Parents/guardians will receive a text message, followed by a formal letter if necessary, advising how to correct the issue and the pupil will be removed from the playground until it is resolved.
Step 3: Pupils may be removed from the timetable.
It is in the interest of all stakeholders to ensure that our pupils have conformity with uniform and a sense of pride when wearing the Marston Vale Middle School uniform. We urge you to consider this when buying uniform for your child. Whilst the latest fashions may be of desire to a child, they have no place in the school.