The Library provides an area in the school where all are welcome and where pupils can feel secure and comfortable, in a positive and productive atmosphere.
The Library is one of the major resources of the school and the facilities it provides underpin the school’s ethos of ‘every child matters’.
We aim to engender a love of books and enthusiasm for reading so that it becomes a lifelong process.
We will do our best to:
- Be friendly and helpful
- Make sure that the library is a pleasant and welcoming place and an oasis of calm
- Make sure that we provide a range of books and authors
- Provide you with resources to undertake research for homework
- Listen to your opinions and suggestions
We ask that you do your best to:
- Ask for help when needed
- Use the Library sensibly and responsibly
- Return/renew books weekly
- Have all books computer checked before you leave
- Leave the shelves tidy with books upright
- Help us by giving us your comments and suggestions
Accelerated Reader the Marston Vale Way
- Pupils complete an online Star reading test which will determine which level they are on. The reading range result is recorded in the pupil’s planner on page 13.
- Pupils choose a book according to their reading range.
- There are a variety of books with different genres and difficulty levels to allow all pupils to be stretched and challenged at an appropriate yet aspiring level to them in order to make good progress.
- Pupils may have the books out on loan for two weeks and if they require an extension they need to speak to the librarian.
- Once pupils have read their Accelerated Reader books they may take a quiz. Reading practice quizzes ask questions that measure a student’s comprehension of a book. There are 5, 10 or 20 questions depending on the length and complexity of the book.
- Pupils are required to achieve 60% to gain a pass. Scores are recorded in the pupil’s planners. If a quiz is failed, they indicate the reason by writing a comment in their planner next to the AR stamp. A conversation takes place with the teacher/librarian as to how we may help them for next time.
- If pupils score 100% on their quiz they receive a raffle ticket for a prize draw. The draw takes place at the end of each half term in assembly. The prize is an Amazon voucher. Pupils will also be given a coloured star which they give to their form tutor to display in their form room to celebrate their success.
- Reading a book is part of the children’s English homework and we recommend 20 minutes per evening for KS2 and 30 minutes each evening for KS3.
- Missing homework is given if pupils fail two quizzes in a row and are not given to Year 5 pupils until half-term 3.
- For each quiz taken correctly pupils will gain points and they can work towards achieving the 100 merit badge.
- Pupils can work towards becoming a word millionaire. Accelerated Reader collates the words read and once a pupil has reached one million they receive a certificate and entry into a prize draw.
- The English teachers are able to look at the diagnostic reports, this indicates pupils progress on Accelerated Reader.
- All year groups have allocated slots during the week to use the library with their teachers.
- The Library is open daily at break and at lunchtime from 13:30. Pupils are welcome to change their books and take AR quizzes during these times.